Surf Camp Algarve
ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW FOR your SURFING HOLIDAY IN LAGOS
- Surf Camp and Surf School
- How to Get to us
- Weather & Waves
- What to bring
Frequently Asked Questions. All you need to know for your surfing holiday in Algarve, Portugal
Please fill out our online pre-booking form. This form in no way constitutes a formal booking but helps us to obtain and give you all the necessary information for your surfing holiday in Algarve. Alternatively you can always email us with your specific query.
In order to confirm your booking and services contracted you agree to pay a deposit (a percentage of the total value of your booking). The remaining balance is to be paid up to 6 weeks before arrival date.
In case you are booking within 6 weeks days of arrival date, balance payment is to be made at the moment of booking confirmation.
Please read our booking terms and conditions page to get the full info.
You can book at any time but best to secure your place well in advance since we do get full, especially in peak seasons.
No, you can arrive and depart any day of the week and stay for as long as you want!
Yes, if there's availability for the new dates and when advised at least 2 weeks before due arrival date.
Please check our booking terms and conditions.
We do have discounts available for longer durations. The more surfing you do the cheaper it gets.
Also, if you are a regular costumer or a big group we can talk about it .o)
The surf house in Lagos has 10 bedrooms - private and shared dorms (according to gender).
The surf house in Lagos has single, twin, triple and quadruple rooms so you can either have a room all to yourself or share with a maximum of 3 other guests.
Check-out is until 11h00.
Check-in is from 16h00 to 18h00.
The house does not operate a 24 hour check in service, heck-ins between 18h00 and 24h00 are by appointment only. So, please let us know your expected time of arrival as soon as possible so we can arrange for one of the staff members to meet you, otherwise you may have to wait until someone is available to check you in.
We cannot facilitate check in’s after midnight so please take this into consideration when booking your flights.
Only if you wish... you don't need to. We provide covers, sheets, pillows, towels, etc.
- Where is the nearest internet access point?
Right at the surf house! There is free Wi-Fi access in the entire surf house.
- How far is the nearest beach?
There is beautiful beach just 800m away from the surf house (10 minutes’ walk).
- How far is the nearest ATM?
Five (5) minutes' walk in either direction.
- How far is the nearest supermarket?
There is one directly across the road and another one about 5 minutes' walking distance.
- How far is the nearest bar?
There's a restaurant with bar area directly opposite to the surf camp and many other bars on the walk into town.
- Where is the nearest hospital?
There's a private hospital less than 5 minutes by taxi and a public hospital in the town centre.
- How far is the nearest pharmacy?
Five (5) minutes' walk from the surf house.
- How far is the closest restaurant?
Directly opposite to the surf house!
Normally Europeans... but we're happy to say that we have costumers from all around the world. We are an international surf company so we have guests of different nationalities who give a very good vibe in the surf house and in the surf school (surf, siesta, relax, dinners, drinks, sleep, more surf surf,…).
No. The surf camp usually closes from the beginning of November to the beginning of March
We are experts in Surf tuition for all levels as well as kitesurf (during wind season). If you're interested in other activities such as SUP, yoga, mountain biking, etc., we can recommend a specialized outdoor company in Lagos.
Our surf camp in Lagos provides beginner surf courses for those who have never surfed before and improvement courses for those above beginner level. It's the perfect place to learn how to surf or just enjoy surfing!
No worries. You can join our level 2 group. Our instructors will evaluate your skills and help you with all you need to improve your surf level and skills.
Yes, including Saturday and Sunday.
No, classes are held no matter how many students but the maximum ratio of students per instructor is of 8..
Around 3 hours per day in 2 session (1,5h/session).
Sorry, but we only offer group lessons.
Please contact us for availability
Meeting point for surf school is usually our surf house around 09h00. However, we can also pick you up at one of the following locations (to be agreed beforehand). After booking, and closer to date, we will contact you to let you know pick up time (normally between 09h00 and 09h15). These are our usual pick up points for surf school:
- Our Surf House (for Aqualuz, Vilabranca, Carvi Hotel, Montemar Hotel, Dom Manuel hotel, Villas D. Dinis, Costa d’Orio and other Dona Ana area)
- Vila Gale outside reception (for Vila Gale & immediate area)
- Tivoli outside reception for guests of the hotel (and immediate area)
- Adega da Marina (for Marina apartments and city centre)
- Cascade Resort outside reception for clients of the resort
- Clube Porto do Mos outside reception (for Porto do Mos area)
Minimum age to join our group classes is 14 years old.
Yes, all clients have to know how to swim. It's important that you have good body resistance, absence of serious respiratory, pulmonary and cardiac illnesses and swimming ability - at least 25 meters crawl.
The closest airport to our surf camp is Faro (FAO) - approximately 45Km - so that should be your destination airport when searching for flights to Lagos.
You can also fly to Lisbon (LIS) and reach Lagos by bus, car or train.
We don’t offer airport transfers but here is how you can get to the surf house in Lagos from Faro airport :
- Public transports from Faro airport: You can travel by taxi, train, bus or a hire a transfer company. Please find more detailed information in the location page.
- Rent-a-car from Lisbon: We can organize rent-a-car with Lisbon airport pickup/deliver (with optional roof-rack). We pre-book the car only for our clients convenience. The contract and payment is made directly to the rent-a-car company upon arrival.
- Public transports from Lisbon: You can catch an EXPRESS BUS (faster one) or the train from Lisbon.
The weather is Atlantic/Mediterranean, with mild winters and hot summers.
Great sunny weather all year long with colder and rainy periods during Winter and Spring months (December to April). Temperatures can drop to 12º C in Winter and go as high as 40 ºC in the Summer.
In summer, the water temperature may reach 25 ºC, which is warm enough to surf without wetsuit. In winter, the minimum water temperature is around 15 degrees.
In the Algarve area you will find all kind of waves, breaking on reefs or sand banks, big and small, off shore, on shore, cross shore, but normally the summer swell is smaller, perfect for who want to learn how to surf. If you are an intermediate/experienced surfer, the best season is from September to April, but there are always safe sheltered spots for beginners even in the peak of winter. Please find more info about Fuerteventura's waves here.
Meia Praia in Lagos occasionally has waves but the safest bet is the west coast between 20 and 45 minutes’ drive.
Every spot has some rips, the sand banks are always changing thus making the rips. But don't worry, you will surf at the safest spots and always under supervision!
There are so many surf spots in the Amoreira beach that there's always a break for every level of surfer.
We have waves all year around! Portugal is the most western European Atlantic Coast. If you are intermediate/experienced surf the east season is from September to June, but there are always safe sheltered spots for beginners even in the peak of winter.
Clothes - Summer (April-October)
- Board shorts / Bikini
- Regular shorts, T-shirts
- Fleece/Sweatshirt for the evenings
- Baseball Cap or Sun Hat
- Sandals or flip-flops
- Tennis Shoes (or hiking boots in case you want to explore a bit more)
Clothes - Winter (November-March)
- Board shorts / Bikini
- Winter clothing, long pants, long sleeve shirts
- Fleece/hoody for the early morning, afternoon and evenings
- Baseball Cap or Sun Hat
- Airline Tickets & Vouchers
- Passport & Driver´s License
- Cash (Euros) & Credit Card for extra activities, meals, tips, souvenirs and incidentals
- Beach towel(s)
- Personal hygiene items (toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc. - you can also buy locally)
- LOTS of Sunscreen: We recommend H2O proof, SPF 45
- Camera equipment (film and/or memory cards)
- Voltage converters & adapters
- Portuguese "Quick Phrase" Book... you never know!
- Surf board (read below)
- Wetsuit - The water temperature varies between 14-16 degrees in winter so a 3”2 mm or a 4”3 mm wetsuit will be enough. In summer it's board shorts or bikini and rash vest.
- Board bag to ensure the safety of your board
- Surf Booties
- Extra leashes
- Extra fins/ hard wear
- Duck tape
- Ding repair kit
Lagos & Sagres: This region has it all, big stuff for the chargers and small gentle waves for beginners. You can bring your short boards and big wave gun's up to 9'4" depending on your ability. Mini malls and long boards can also be surfed at loads of the breaks in and around Lagos and Sagres.
Bordeira & Carrapateira: Short boards and bigger wave boards up to a 7'0" will be perfect for the waves around the west coast. Mini malls and long boards will be fine at some of the beach breaks and slower breaking point breaks.