SURF CAMP SAGRES PORTUGAL
SAGRES - SURROUND YOURSELF WITH A NATURAL PARADISE!
- About Sagres
- Night Life in Sagres
- Weather in Sagres
- How to get to us
Why visit Sagres, Algarve?
The Algarve has been occupied by numerous cultures throughout the centuries, including Phoenicians, Carthaginians, Romans, Visigoths and Moors (who named the region Al-Gharb, the country of the west).
King Afonso III took the Algarve from the Moors in 1250 and in the 15th century, King Henry the Navigator built his famous school of navigation and used the Algarve as the jumping-off point for the voyages of discovery which laid the foundations of the Portuguese Empire.
Sagres is the most southerly community in Portugal and the most south-westerly in continental Europe.
Located near to Cabo São Vicente (San Vicente Cape), it was for many centuries considered as the end of the world, the most extreme piece of land beyond which nothing existed.
The red lantern lighthouse in Cabo de São Vicente is one of the most notable icons in Sagres and it sits at the very southwestern-most point. This lighthouse has a 95km range, which makes it the most powerful lighthouse in Europe.
Besides being a place for nature lovers that can enjoy the Costa Vicentina, a protected Natural Park covering over 74,000 hectares and boasting over 750 different species – 12 of which are not found anywhere else in the world; this part of the Algarve is a surfers haven.
Sandy inlets, rugged coves and deserted stretches of scattered sea and sand make this an ideal place to spend your surfing holidays.
Unlike some of the most touristic places in Algarve, in Sagres you won't find big hotels or resorts. Away from the mass tourism, you'll find many beautiful uncrowded beaches, perfect for all nature and sports lovers.
You will be fascinated by the gorgeous coastline and surroundings and the good surfing conditions year round on any surf spot at a time, regardless of swell or wind conditions.
There many places to wine and dine or simply have a snack. There are restaurants for every taste and view! Seafood is the region’s strength because Sagres is a fishing port with local fishermen bringing in fresh fish and shellfish on a daily basis to supply local restaurants.
Party and Night Life in Sagres
We will show you all the amazing places worth visiting in the west coast of Algarve - including sunset parties at sea! But if you are looking for something to do in the evenings explore Sagres' nightlife! After a perfect day of surf, the town's snack bars turn on their lights and the party begins!
Most of the bars are on Sagres main street and the best places are just 5 minutes walking distance to the house: pubs with music and cocktails, happy hour and party! The atmosphere is awesome ad impossible for you not to have a good time!
Sagres is a very safe place to visit and Algarve nightlife is a great way to have fun and meet new people after a day out surfing.
Whether you want a bite to eat or a drink you are guaranteed to have a memorable time while in Sagres.
Join the party and have a great time in Sagres, Algarve!
Seasons and Weather in Algarve
The Algarve has the best all-year round climate in the whole of Europe and can offer more sunshine hours than California!
In the summer months the high temperatures attract the beach-goers and sun-lovers from around the world, as do it's renowned golden sand beaches across the coast-line in front of the calm, clear seas, the Algarve is a European paradise for sun-seekers.
Luckily, Sagres is surrounded by a natural park, which means that there is no mass tourism and there are many uncrowded beaches to explore.
Temperature in winter vary from 14 to 24°C (57 to 75°F) and can reach 28-30°C (82-86° F) in the summer.
|Surf equipment||Full suit||Spring suit||Spring suit||Shorty||Spring suit||Spring suit|
|Water temperature||15 ºC||17 ºC||19 ºC||22 ºC||21 ºC||18 ºC|
|Air temperature||16 ºC||20 ºC||25 ºC||30 ºC||25 ºC||18 ºC|
Algarve's Regional Gastronomy
Being a place of fishermen, Sagres is one of the many Portuguese gastronomic paradises dedicated to fresh fish and seafood lovers.
Every morning local fishermen unload their boats and bring fresh fish to the markets and restaurants in Sagres.
The most popular dishes are the fish soups, octopus rice, fish-stew, shellfish açorda, grilled sardines and many more delicatessens!
if you are not a into seafood or fish, no worries, there are many other options for all palates!
DESTINATION AIRPORT: FARO (FAO)
The closest airport to Sagres is Faro International Airport (FAO) - but you can also fly to Lisbon (LIS - 350km from Sagres - check our Lisbon car rental page).
There are plenty of daily international flights available to Faro (including many low cost ones): Monarch, Easyjet, Ryanair, British Airways, Air Berlin, Transavia, Iberia and TAP (Air Portugal) are just some of the companies flying to Faro from other international airports.
How To Get to Sagres from Faro
When you get to Sagres you'll be in the middle of a natural park and surrounded by beautiful beaches. But, as with all good things, it's not an easy place to reach by public transports (they exist but it will take most of your day...).
Sagres is 113 km from Faro airport so, the best ways to get to the surf camp in Sagres from Faro is by train, bus, taxi, direct transfer, car or transfer companies:
- Bus: Catch a bus from the airport to Faro city center + bus from Faro to Lagos + bus from Sagres to Sagres. Please find schedule and more info @ www.eva-bus.com
- Train: Catch a bus from the airport to Faro city center + regional train from Faro to Lagos + bus from Lagos to Sagres. Check the official website for up-to-date schedules and prices - www.cp.pt
- Direct transfer: We can organize a direct transfer to Sagres with pick up at Faro Airport . Price for a direct transfer from Faro airport to the surf house in Sagres is 110,00 Euros each way.
- Taxi: There are plenty of regular taxis at Faro airport and prices usually start at around 100 Euros during week days. Please keep in mind that surcharges apply for nightly (22h00 to 06h00) or Sunday rides, bulky goods transportation, etc. Once at arrival, turn right and you will be heading for the taxis rank.
- Shuttle Service: Price wise it's cheaper to get a shuttle bus but it may take you longer than a private taxi. Shuttle companies will collect you at the airport and bring you directly to Sagres and you can book and pay online in advance. If you chose to travel this way, best if you also book the return journey to the airport in advance and they can do the check in for the return pick-up 24 hours before departing. There are many options online such as: a2btransfers; flybus and holidaytransfers
- Rent-a-car in Faro: If you want extra freedom of movement, you can rent a car beforehand online or upon arrival at one of the many counters located in the airport’s arrivals area (Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Sixt, etc.). The car drive to Sagres takes around 01h30 and it's a straightforward drive down the A22 motorway (toll road) or down the secondary N125 road (which will take you a bit longer that A22 highway).
How to get to Sagres from Lisbon
You can get to the surfcamp in Sagres from Lisbon by bus or car:
- Bus (July to September): There is a direct bus connecting Lisbon and Sagres but it only runs from July 1st to September 15th and it leaves Lisbon just once a day at 07h30.
Upon arrival to the airport, catch a taxi (+/- 10 Euros) or take the subway to SETE RIOS bus terminal in Lisbon and then catch the EXPRESSO Bus to SAGRES (20 Euros/person/one way). The trip takes around 5h10m.
Please find schedule and more info @ http://www.rede-expressos.pt
- Bus (rest of the year): Catch the Expresso bus from Lisbon to Lagos and then another bus to Sagres.
- Rent-a-car in Lisbon: Sagres is very well located in the Algarve so it’s the perfect location to visit many places on an afternoon drive or a day off. Renting a car will allow you extra more freedom and flexibility to explore the beautiful coast and villages in Algarve and Alentejo without wasting your days in public transports.
If you are flying to Lisbon airport (LIS) we can organize car rental with delivery and return at Lisbon airport.
Read our Lisbon car rental page for detailed information.